Sunday, October 10, 2010

Miss Havisham


To those who took Honors English with me... Do you remember this woman?

I do... all too well... When I saved her image to my desktop, I was afraid my computer would crash.



I hated reading Great Expectations.

Hated. It.

Like, I wanted to claw my eyes out. Rarely do I say that about a book.



Anyway, I was going to use the image of her on fire... But I couldn't find it, sadly.

I remember we watched Miss Havisham's death three times...

I'm certain it was our English teacher's favorite part as well.


Though, I would have read the book again if I knew for a fact that Pip and that girl, who's name escapes me, died a painful death. One that would make me laugh more than Miss Havisham's.

That was harsh...

But I really hated that book...

I don't know why I thought of it...

2 comments:

Dennis Hodgson said...

You didn't say why you hated Great Expectations. Could it be the outrageously unbelievable plot? Or Dickens's discursive style? Have you read any other Dickens?

By the way, the girl was Estella, and it's Miss Havisham [the appellation "Ms" was unknown in the nineteenth century].

Shu said...

It was very hard to follow. As 9th graders, we were forced to read it and we didn't enjoy it at all. I admit I have not read any other of Dickens' work, and I don't mean to be pessimistic when I say this, but I'm not going to until I felt I've developed enough patients to completely understand in full detail as to what he's trying to get across.

Many thanks. I appreciate the help and the corrections.

Post a Comment

My Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones